How to optimise for CTR (Click Through Rate)
– Focus on ad quality and clearly describe what you’re selling.
– Include deals and benefits.
– Match your keywords and ads as closely as possible to make them relevant.
– Use keywords in your ad title and text to make the ads more relevant.
– Delete keywords with a high number of impressions, but low CTRand conversions.
– Check your Search terms and focus on negative keywords to prevent high costs for irrelevant clicks.
– Try different keyword matching options like broad match modifier, phrase, and exact match to reduce the number of irrelevant searches.
– More advanced advertisers should consider keyword insertion. With DSA (Dynamic search ads) your keyword will appear in your ad text when users search for that query.
– Test campaigns targeting the Display Network to reach more consumers, but make sure your campaigns remain profitable.
With Competitive metrics, you can see the impression share you are capturing, as well as what you’re missing because of low bids, low budgets, or other factors.
The Impression share report shows you the percentage of possible impressions that your ads could have received.
The Click share report shows how many clicks your ads received out of the total number of times Google Ads estimates your ads could be clicked.
– Select your campaign/ad group/keyword > COLUMNS > Modify Columns > Competitive metrics > Check all the Search metrics and Click share.
– Try Target impression share if you want to know exactly in which position your ads are driving traffic and results, how many times they were at the top of the page, and what share of impressions they get.
Target impression share is a Smart Bidding strategy designed to maximise your reach and your brand awareness.
Branding campaigns are designed to increase traffic to your website.
– Try a CPM (Cost per impression) Display Network campaign in addition to your Search CPC (cost-per-click) campaigns.
– Supplement your text ads with image and video ads.
– Capitalise the first letter of every word in your Display URL, this brings more attention to your company name and brand.
– Promote ads to managed placements to show them to people who are interested in what you sell.
– Create a landing page that focuses on the interaction with your brand.
How to measure brand awareness
– Number of Impressions.
– Customer Engagement, Engagement rate, Interaction, and Interaction rate.
Campaigns > COLUMNS > Modify Columns > Performance > Check Interactions > Interaction rate > Engagements > Engagement rate.
ROI (Return on Investment)
– Define a clear call-to-action that reflects the action you want the users to take. For ads on the Display Network, a good call-to-action is extremely important as it sets the right expectation for users in various stages of the buying cycle.
– Your ads should directly relate to your landing page to attract the right audience so they can quickly find what they are looking for.
– Improve your Quality Score.
– Group highly relevant keywords and ads together to match users’ searches.
– Adjust your bids.
– Use Bid adj. (Bid adjustments).
– Filter out unwanted clicks by being very descriptive in your ad text.
For example, use words such as ‘Buy now’, ‘Order now’ to get clicks from users who are ready to buy.
Or ‘Open an account” to discourage users who want to try a demo.
Conversely, if you want users to try your products before they buy them, use words such ‘Try a demo’, or ‘Free demo for 30 days’.
Extract from my Book ‘Making Google Ads Work’.